Friday 4 January 2013

Creamy, Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes

For Christmas, I got the one thing I've been dying to own since my love for cooking first sparked - a genuine, bona fide KitchenAid Food Processor!!



As soon as I got home from my parent's house, I had to try it out immediately! As fate would have it, I was invited to a potluck that very night, so scalloped potatoes it was.

I've made this recipe (from allrecipies.com) a few times now, and I've tweaked it for ultimate cheesy flavour.

Ingredients

  • 4 russet potatoes, sliced very thin (around 1/8 inch wide)
  • 1 onion, sliced even thinner than the potato
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 3 tbsp butter
  • 3 tbsp flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 2 cups shredded Old Cheddar cheese, divided

 

Directions


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter a 1 quart casserole dish.

Layer about half of the sliced potato in the prepared casserole dish, then layer all the sliced onion.


Layer the remaining potato and set aside.

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter, and whisk in the flour and salt. Continue whisking for about a minute.



While whisking, slowly add the milk. Cook until the sauce has thickened, approximately 5 minutes.

Turn off the burner heat, and add 1 1/2 cups of the cheese. Whisk until smooth.



Pour the cheese sauce over the potatoes, and cover with aluminium foil. Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, or until the potatoes are nearly done. Take the foil off for the last bit, and sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese over it. Bake additional 10-15 minutes, or until potatoes are completely soft, and cheese is browning and bubbly.



I made a double recipe for the potluck, and the time it took to prepare was cut in half! I can't wait to use my food processor for more recipes!!  

Oh, and the scalloped potatoes were a big hit at the potluck :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment